Update July 8th 2016: Our contest is now closed! You can still enjoy the paper craft DIY. Please scroll to the bottom of the article to see contest information.
Pauline Yau is our Artist of the Month. She is a paper artist who uses her creative skills to transform the humble paper into magnificent things. Not only has she shared with us her artistic journey, but she has also got a few tricks to show us. On top of that, she has some special gifts for you!
Pauline Yau’s DIY Peony Flowers
Flowers are a beautiful way to decorate home. They add color and cheer to the room, but they don’t last more than a week. Also, not all of us have lush gardens and backyards. So, what if you could make some flowers yourself, that looked just as good as the real ones and lasted almost forever. Sounds great, doesn’t it!
Pauline taught us how to make these beautiful peony flowers, and we are sharing the entire process in our video below.
They might look extremely intricate and impossible to make, but wait till you watch the video. Wake up the artist in you and try your hands with these beautiful paper flowers.
Here is the step by step video on how to make a peony flower:
Here are some details for you
What you need:
- Crepe paper – 3 different colors: green for the leaves and 2 colors of your choice for the heart of the flower and the petals
- Floral Wire – to use as stem
- Floral Tape
- Glue/Glue gun
Step by step process
Please check out the DIY video above for demonstration of each step!
Step 1 – The heart
Start with the heart of the flower. You will need a few strips of crepe paper.
Make the strips into paper fringes, by cutting into the strips about three quarters of the way through.
Six of these strips should be enough to make a beautiful heart for your peony. You could even use two different colored strips for the heart.
Now start with one end of the first strip. Add a small dot of glue and roll the fringed strip onto the floral wire, adding more glue in between as required. It will create a beautiful bunch, as shown in the video.
Continue for the rest of the fringed strips to make more layers on the wire.
Step 2 – The petals
Use the patterns in the image to cut your crepe paper in the respective shapes for each layer.
Stretch and shape the petals to give them some definition.
Starting with the inner petals, glue them on to the heart of the flower, one at a time.
Then move on to adding the middle petals, and then outer petals.
Step 3 – The leaves
Cut the green crepe paper in the shape of long thin leaves.
Now glue them onto the floral wire, as shown in the video.
Step 4 – The stem
For the final step, cover the entire stem with the floral tape. Start with the glued ends of the petals and leaves on the floral wire. Roll the tape till the end of the stem. This will add a finishing touch to your flower.
Don’t worry if you do not get it right the first time. Practice makes perfect, and don’t forget to share pictures of your hand-made peonies with us!
Update July 8th 2016: Our contest is now closed!
Enter our contest for a chance to win these beautiful hand-made greeting cards. These unique hand-cut cards are perfect for any occasion. They would even make gorgeous wall decor.
Here is how you can win:
What DIY would you like to learn next?
Giveaway starts now and ends Thursday July 7th 2016 at 11 pm Eastern Time.
Five lucky winners will receive the giveaway prize!
Winners will be selected at random, and will be notified shortly after via Facebook. If winners do not respond within seven (7) days after being notified, we reserve the right to forfeit the respective prize.
To find out more check out our Terms and Conditions at the bottom of this article.
NONAGON.style Giveaway Terms & Conditions
- No purchase or payment required to enter or win.
- All giveaways are open to people worldwide, aged 18 years and over, excluding employees of the Promoter, their families, agents and any other person professionally connected with this giveaway.
- To enter, visit the (facebook.com/nonagon.style/) (the “Facebook Page”) and Comment on the giveaway post, additionally participant must subscribe with their name and email address to the NONAGON.style newsletter to be in the draw to win. Facebook names will be matched against names and email addresses provided through subscription, to confirm that both commenting and signup conditions have been met.
- Entries must be submitted between the start and end date of the giveaway as specified on this page. Entries received after the giveaway has closed or received by any other means other than the specified medium will not be accepted.
- Only one entry per person. Applications via agents/third parties or by using multiple Facebook or email accounts are not permitted.
- Prizes are as stated, are non-transferable and no cash alternative is available.
- The promoter will randomly select five winning entries. The winners will be notified by Facebook within a week after the conclusion of the giveaway. Winners will be required to provide the Promoter an address for delivery. If the winner doesn’t respond within 7 days after notification, they forfeit the prize. The Promoter is not responsible in the event that the winner does not receive their prize as a result of miscommunication. The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Promoter cannot guarantee continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to its Facebook page and is not responsible for any disruption to the giveaway or its Facebook page due to technical problems or otherwise due to events outside of its reasonable control.
- The Promoter reserves the right to amend or suspend the giveaway at any time without giving advance notice.
- In order to participate in any giveaway, applicants must accept Facebook’s terms and conditions, although it is acknowledged that this giveaway is not sponsored or endorsed by, nor associated with, Facebook. Entrants release Facebook from any and all liability arising out of or in connection with this giveaway.
- Competition is void where prohibited by law.
- The giveaway and these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong. The courts of Hong Kong shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute arising out of or in connection with this giveaway.
- By participating in this giveaway, applicants are deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions.